Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My battles with the Thermostat.


So. Up until today I had been looking at my Korean Thermostat with cautious curiosity. I googled, I researched, and all my efforts left me just as clueless as before. While it was plain to see that I had no clue how to heat my apartment (even having been here for 5 months already), I neglected to take the appropriate –and obvious- actions and request the assistance of my Korean coworkers (hindsight is 20-20 folks).


So, here, in all its glory, is my decoded, Korean Thermostat / Temperature gauge. This could also be entitled “How to work my Korean heating system”.


I’m now going to proceed to label this post in a billion ways in hopes that some other poor foreigner in Korea will be able to get their heating situation worked out for the winter. Merry Christmas!

(Sidenote: Heat still takes a long time to kick in over here. I’m now going to fearlessly experiment with my settings and see if I can get more heat to rise out of the ground by lowering my water temperature?)

6 comments:

  1. Did someone write those labels on for you..ie a Korean co-worker? When do you use restart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this thing looks crazy! I am glad you were able to decode, and I'm sure people coming upon this post in their times of need will be extra happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie I miss you and am living vicariously through your blog haha. I would not have done well with this thermostat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I feel like you must have another fun story for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just moved into Daegu yesterday I am so grateful to have come upon this website. You have saved me so much trouble! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a few years later than your post, but thanks so much! All our director told me was to push the on button and all I knew otherwise was how to turn on the hot water, so this is a huge help!

    Thank you for making your post easy to find. I'll have to mention it in my blog and help other foreigners understand how to use their thermostats too.

    ReplyDelete