Saturday, September 5, 2009

How do you teach children the meaning of words like “about”, “except” and “would” when they don’t understand the words used to define them?

You draw comics about hamburgers and hope that the repetition of the words somehow implants meaning into their brains.

IMG_1093 When teaching verbs, draw big information sheets and make them rewrite the definitions. That way, they at least know what to say if someone asks them what a verb is. We’re still working on the comprehension part of the learning process ;)

IMG_1096

IMG_1097

Oh, and since the last post I’ve been given 15 brand new students (ranging from age 3-9). FIFTEEN! Oh, and my core and support classes were combined to form one awesome class of eight. Welcome to my class Rachel, Kelly and Will.

5 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment!! Keep with the cartoons and you'll leave them with a new textbook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the cutest thing ever!! And so creative! I knew your cartoons would come in handy with teaching!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cartoons! They are awesome!
    (I also love your blog, and just never comment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are officially the best and cutest english teacher ever. The hamburger cartoon made me laugh so much! You are adorable Miss Vance. Your students must love you!

    ReplyDelete