Sunday, October 4, 2009

And I’m back! Chuseok holiday - part 1 :)

Back and blogging that is. Gracious, it’s been awhile! Now that I’ve tackled a cold and a [almost] conquered a determined flu bug, here’s some awesome new stuff from Korea :) OH! And Jacob (Jen’s boyfriend) has also arrived since the last post :) Welcome to Korea my friend!IMG_1190Ok. Here in Korea they celebrate a holiday known as ‘Chuseok’. I’ve been told that it’s kinda like Korean Thanksgiving… Being that we’re in Asia though, it’s actually nothing like either Canadian nor American Thanksgiving in terms of appareance. It’s something entirely new and special. The above picture features about half of the GDA morning kindergarten kids wearing their special outfits – Hanboks.

Let us zoom in on my children for a second…IMG_1190-1 Please note that not a single one of them is looking to their left, where the camera was, and where they were directed to look. It was a long day. I had no voice at all, and watching over the eight kids in a public park was quite a task :) They are cute though eh?

The school celebrated the holiday with great passion, renting Hanboks for even us foreigners. Huge in dimension, the dress poofed enough to make any prom dress blush and allowed me a bit of insight into what prom may have been like…IMG_1117 For all the guys out there wondering “but what would I get to wear at Chuseok?” – don’t worry! Here is a photo featuring Jacob, who in combination with Jen got to sport the lovely ‘couple's Hanboks’.

IMG_1116

The kids all brought their own outfits :) Here are my lovely ladies!

IMG_1126

Here are the handsome gentlemen. I’m not sure how Harry P and Alan managed to make themselves looked conjoined, but Will and Harry L look as sweet as they normally do :)

IMG_1127

And just because I love my kids and think they looked so beautiful/handsome in their outfits, here are some more pictures from their proud teacher :)

IMG_1125Michelle and Sue :)  IMG_1123Kelly, Will, Harry L, and Miss Rachel :)

IMG_1133 Harry L, Rachel (the heartbreaker ;), and Will (the ladies man) :)

IMG_1137 Traditional Korean dancing? :)IMG_1138 Cooking up traditional Korean Chuseok treats (rice and sugar balls…)IMG_1168My beautiful Michelle with one of the Korean teachers :) I love her smile :)

IMG_1181 Rachel preparing to throw her ‘spear’ in a traditional Korean game :)

And finally, since my old core and support classes have been combined, I now have a new support class featuring these lovely young (5 year old) ladies:

IMG_1143 Jessica the little cutie. She speaks almost no English and only knows how to say “Hi, my name is Jeshhica” and then she’ll beam at you :)

 IMG_1146

Sarah the little punk :) But a cute punk. She’s the “no!” kid. You know the type. The one who has learned the word and is determined to use it anytime she wants ;) But, she likes to dance. So we just dance and she will eventually start listening!

IMG_1193

Rachel (background) – the super sweet perfect student with the crazy mother, and Kate (foreground) the attention-loving, attitude giving princess with a charming little smile :)

and finally, my little ray of sunshine:

IMG_1192This is Miss Amy. I love this kid so much. She just beams with happiness, listens perfectly, and has a nice mother. She’s the kid that runs to give you a hug when you’re a bit grumpy on a Monday morning, or who smiles and says “teacher, Octopus dance?” when we’re trying to learn the Letter “O”. Indeed, the Octopus dance was a smash hit and teacher and students left the class mutually happy that day. What a beautiful child. I’m sure from now on the name Amy will bring happy memories of this kid into my heart.

Now that I’ve gushed about Amy for a bit, I also feel inclined to point out Harry L in this picture. Bahahaa. What a kid.

IMG_1192-1 Ok. That’s about it for now. This is part 1 of probably about 4 blog entries that I will be posting in the next few days :) Check back later to read more about my lovely vacation featuring the purchase of two essential kitchen items (oh the suspense!), and the second trip to the Aquarium (sans enfants). :) Woooooo!

Here’s wishing you all a HAPPY CHUSEOK!
~Katie

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Love the descriptions of your children. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the descriptions - so great and your kids look so adorable! Might I say that you sound like a fabulously great teacher?? Octopus dance?? I NEEEEEED to see that in action, it sounds incredible

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Harry L... he is so funny and cute. Great BLOG. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dance is kinda like the hula, except you move really fast and do the 'twist' at the same time. Sometimes, just for the fun of it, you can also pick the kids up and swing them around with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are the preciousest of precious! I want to come visit just to see you in action. And to see all the beautiful Koreans... <3

    ReplyDelete