Tuesday, June 16, 2009

And all the documents are sent…

Today I sent off my final batch of documents. I will be very happy if I never have to send out an Xpresspost envelope ever again. The final round of mailings involved filling out the actual Visa application, sending a set of transcripts, photos, the 55 dollar money order, my passport, and the application itself complete with the Visa confirmation number I received back from Korea to the Korean Consulate in Montreal. In about 5-10 business days I will have had my Visa interview via webcam, my passport stamped with the Korean Visa and returned. All in all, that stamp will have been the most expensive stamp I’ve ever obtained – but I hear the benefits will be great and plentiful :)

Xpresspost

I’ve had some questions lately from friends back home about what is included when signing up for a contract to teach in Korea, and so I thought I’d post it on the blog here to help answer some of these questions. In all the research that I’ve done, I’ve not found a place more highly recommended for ESL teachers than Korea. When employed by one of their private schools, they will pay for your flights at the beginning and end of your contract (to Korea and back to Canada – or USA, etc), as well as provide your accommodations (minus utilities). With the low taxes over there, living costs are significantly cheaper than here in Canada, and this allows for more savings (in my case they will go towards student loan repayment). I’ve heard countless stories of teachers who have gone to Korea and loved the area and the experience and we’re hoping that we love it just as much as they did.

If anyone knows anyone who might be interested in this kind of opportunity, they should get in touch with ParkEnglish.com – I’ve LOVED this recruitment agency and they have been insanely helpful as we’ve been getting ready to head off!

ParkEnglish

If all goes well with the travel arrangements and the visa arrives in time, Jen is leaving in less than a week (wow!), and I will be heading off around three weeks later. It’s crazy to think that this is all going to become reality soon. I went in to the bank and ordered some Korean Won (thus emptying my account of Canadian Dollars) and it felt pretty surreal. I’ve also been preparing clothing wise, and making sure that I have a variety of work outfits for each of the seasons. It’s been an experience already!

BMO

As for fun things I’m looking into once I arrive in Korea, I’ve found the English website for the Global Missions Church (conveniently in Bundang) and looks pretty sweet. Check it out HERE.

Global Missions Church

That’s about all for now! Soon I’ll be blogging about the packing experience and how I managed to fit a years worth of living into two bags (+ carry-on) and under 100 lbs total.

~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment