Monday, June 1, 2009

Woah! It’s JUNE (almost)!

Wow. So I realized today that I’ve really been neglecting this blog. I can’t even say I have a good excuse. Since graduating, I’ve been spending most of my time puttering around my parents home, daydreaming about the future, and preparing documents to be sent to/from Korea itself and their Montreal consulate. *Warning* to anyone who might be considering TESL as a possible post-graduation option: prepping/FedExing/Express Posting documents is a wee bit expensive so you might want to plan ahead in terms of funding (check out costs of things such as passport photos -we needed six photos total including the two needed for actual passport renewal/creation, the passport itself, Express Posting/Fed Exing of documents, for a Criminal Record Check –vulnerable sector-, for notarization of this record check by a public notary – ex: lawyer, for consulate notarization of the record check by the Korean consulate, and for sending all documents to Korea later, and then resending all of this to the Korean consulate for the actual visa and the cost of the visa itself).

Whew. Expensive stuff, but I’m sure it will pay off in the end. I’ve also been trying to organize myself enough to have some sort of idea of what I am going to be packing. I have determined that my bags will be large enough to hold all my necessary belongings (lucky – they fit the size restrictions of both Canadian and Korean airlines), however the weight restriction (50 lbs max for each of the 2 suitcases) is going to cause some issues. I’m finding myself weighing everything that I add to the case, and am shocked when something as simple as 1 pair of winter boots takes up TWO whole pounds of precious weight! I’ve already reached half of my total weight allowance and have yet to add any clothing. I’ve concluded that this will be a fascinating challenge. Anyone know where I can find super-light-weight towels and sweaters?

On the other side of my life (the one which remains focused on events of the present day), I’m looking forward to the month of June. Promising to bring many exciting events (such as the birth of my nephew), June is sure to satisfy my longing for excitement. I’ll be traveling up to Ottawa for the last week of the month to visit with my awesome brother and sister-in-law and their son, and then, upon my arrival home, I’ll have less than two weeks before my next big life adventure begins :)

Jen is heading off in less than a month for Korea and I am thrilled to be able to live vicariously through her for a couple of weeks before I head out there myself. Jen, you are a brave soul! I look forward to all the international airport advice and the great catch-up session we’ll have once I have conquered the flight for myself! I’m hoping that you’ll be able to post some pictures of the apartment and area up here for us!?!? I’ll be so excited to check it out!

Well, that’s it for now I guess! Thanks to everyone who’s been keeping up with the blog ~ I’ve loved being able to catch up with some of you since I’ve been home!

~Kate~

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of excited for you. Its still 2 years away for me but Korea is definatly on my list (which is in my head) of possibilities for after I graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not long now! Only 40 days...not even six weeks!

    ReplyDelete