Thursday, April 16, 2009

Indeed!

We live an exciting life for sure. Yes, Jen, the pay is slightly less, but our workload is also smaller time-wise. With this in mind, however, we also must note that with LCI we were to be given lesson plans, while with GDA we are responsible for making them up ourselves. Now, though this task may be slightly more intimidating and admittedly shall be more work, it also allows us to have great opportunity for creativity and the chance to really make our classrooms our own. I’m kinda going into this adventure with plans to gain some real teaching experience, and the opportunity to really dig in and create a curriculum is actually appealing to me! Like Jen said, we’re getting good vibes from this school, and we’re even more excited about going to Korea than we were before!

Now, on the more nerdy side, I’m sitting in my last Hebrews class and have nothing to do. So, I’m going to give our faithful readers a tour of BUNDANG and GDA.

Bundang1

If you click HERE, it will take you to our school’s website. We shall be employed at the Bundang ‘campus’. Jen and I were both fascinated by the fact that they used all non-Asian children in their advertisements/web-site. It’s slightly sad that they want the kids to be seen as ‘English’ as possible, and we’ve made it our mission to love these little Asian children and try to learn more about their culture. Anyways, check out the pictures – it looks like a neat place! For those of us fascinated by the wikipedia site, click HERE to gain insight into the world of Bundang. Without ever having been there, I’ve noticed that there is a nice, nature-type focus, and parks seem to be popular. HERE is Bundang Central Park. I have also learned that Bundang is considered one of the richer areas in South Korea, and designer stores seem to be in close proximity. The Samsung Plaza, featured HERE, is a good example of this designer-marketing.

As Jen mentioned, she is going to be the brave soul who arrives first. I will follow a couple of weeks later. We’re determined to find a neat church in the area, and I really want to get connected with a Young Adult sort of group – it would be sweet to have a group of people to hike with/explore the nation with. Though I’ve heard that Bundang is the location of one of the world’s Mega Churches (think huge audiences), I’m not sure the HUGE church atmosphere is my style. HERE is the wikipedia information about the Global Mission Church, and HERE and HERE are the GMC’s websites (in Korean).

This should be exciting. We’ll keep you posted.

Bundang

5 comments:

  1. I think the best part about your school's website is how they use exclamation marks all the time! I guess you'd better get used to speaking excitedly often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered that you guys have a blog, and proceeded to read your past three months worth of entries! Haha, I know the fun of passport photos. My passport photo is horrible! I seriously look like some sort of serial killer. I'm not used to not being able to smile. In the United States, we're allowed to smile! That's crazy about you trying to find your Canadian citizenship card. Jen, your mom's comment about "would that be so bad? At least it would be warm down there!" is hilarious! I liked reading your packing list, and found it to be helpful. I didn't think about packing some of those important documents or my alarm clock. Do they not have alarm clocks in Korea, or is it just that they're in Korean? Katie, it's great that you actually learned the entire Korean alphabet! Good for you! I like your cue cards. I enjoyed your tour of Bundang. That is amusing that your school used all non-Asian children on their website! Well, so long for now, and we'll see you in Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm not sure if you'll see this comment, but I was hoping to talk to you about your experiences at GDA Junior.My name is Leslee Herron and I have recently signed a contract to start teaching there in March. I'm nervous and it would be great to talk to you first hand about your experiences at the school. If you could respond to this message I'd love to give you my email address. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete