Thursday, July 2, 2009

Korea!! Some first impressions....

Alright everyone! Here I am, in my small apartment in Korea after having finished my third day of teaching. Let me say, it is hard work, but very rewarding! I am currently SO tired...no joke, so I will try to write this as quickly as possible. I have several things to talk about so I will divide this blog into sections.

Section #1. Where I live
So I am in a tiny apartment...wood floors, single bed, armoire, desk/chair, fan (SO IMPORTANT because it is HUMID here), low coffee-table type thing, TV/cable, internet, a mold infested fridge, a two burner stove,a sink and NO counter space....a few cupboards and two shelving system things...all in one room. My washer is in a closet (no dryer) and of course my bathroom is in a different room. The shower is typical of Korean homes--just a drain in the middle of the room and the water sprays everything so I have to make sure the toilet paper and such are out of the way so they don't get wet!
Hmmm, what else...oh yes, I have a tiny window in the bathroom and a slightly larger one that is covered in tin foil (yes, tin foil...apparently, a lack of curtains or something) in the main room....these windows have a picket fence type thing in front of them so you can't really see in or out...sorta between the cracks. It's really weird and hard to explain and sucks a bit. But my time spent in basement apartments helps! haha...these windows are ALWAYS open. I have not closed them once because to do so would warrant an early death perhaps, due to not being able to breathe in the heat.
...oh and when I first arrived, I couldn't get the hot water to work so I had about 5 days worth of cold showers...which was interesting and not horrible because it is so hot...but I was glad when we figured the situation out....hot showers are definitely a luxury I don't want to overlook!

Apart from these things there is not much more to my living situation....I will write some more installments of first impressions as I find time and energy to do so!! I have not forgotten the reading audience!

The next few installments:
Section #2. GDA (the School itself)
Section #3. Students/Classes
Section #4. What I have explored


Peace All!!

2 comments: