Monday, July 13, 2009

Segment #3..... of First Impressions

So.....the kids and classes here at GDA....

I have a weird schedule which consists of me working mainly afternoons-early evenings while most other teachers have a morning schedule (as well as some afternoon and evening classes). This schedule might be changing at some point so that I have a regular one as well, but for now I am enjoying three mornings a week of sleeping in (Thursdays and Mondays being the exceptions)...

For future reference there are a few types of classes (in which there are different levels):
  • IK (Intensive Kindergarten--3 levels, I think)
  • AK (Afternoon Kindergarten--not sure how many levels)
  • Returnee (Kids who have been through some of our kindergarten programs and have returned for more!)
  • Speedway (advanced kids, usually around the ages of 10-12)
  • Tutoring (can be any age, usually just one-on-one)

So on Mondays I go to school for 9 like all the other teachers because there is supposedly a meeting for those teaching IK classes (which is everyone) because that is the main thing about GDA (their kindergarten program). This "meeting" is usually about 2 minutes long, if that. Then, because I technically have less teaching hours than the others and we get paid on salary, I am supposed to put in some administrative time from 9-12 (when my regular shift starts). However, they haven't needed me for admin yet so I have been using that time to prep for my classes and this morning I used it to start lesson planning for next month! (a whole other adventure!)...then from 12-1 I prep for my IK class. On Mondays I teach them math, Tuesdays is Science, Wednesdays is Social Studies, Thursdays is math again, and Fridays I work with them on a play as well as reviewing info and just having playtime or drawing time or story time....anyways, I have them until 2:20. There are eight kids in this class and they are SUPER smart but also SUPER energetic. They kinda get out of hand pretty easily, so I have already been working at laying down the law! Raising hands and silence when others are speaking is on the agenda for the next little while or else....no play time! haha....Anyways, then I have to make sure I pack up their things, put on their outdoor shoes, handout GDA stickers (their rewards system here) and take them upstairs where they are herded to buses by the Korean support teachers. Then I get a break till 2:40 when I start my Returnee class (one of the lower levels). On Mondays I teach them Reading Street (basically reading a story and Practice book activities) for two hours. Then at 4:40 I am off!
On Tuesdays I come in for 12, do my lesson prep and start my IK science class until 2:20. At 2:40 I have an AK class for an hour. I teach them listening and basic vocabulary. This is followed by another AK class who I also have for an hour. I teach them phonics. Then I have a break from 4:40-4:50. At 4:50 I have my Speedway class for an hour. I teach them Reading Street (like my Returnee class but at a higher level).
On Wednesdays, I show up at 12 and do the same thing as Monday and Tuesday (except I teach IKs Social Studies). At 2:40 I have my first Returnee class again but this time I teach them science and listening/dictation. At 4:40 I have a break again and then at 4:50 I teach my second returnee class. I teach them Grammar and Science on Wednesdays. I have them for 2 hours so I am done by 6:50.
Thursdays, I go in for 9:30 because I tutor a girl from 9:50-10:50. Basically I just sit and read through stories in a book with her and do the corresponding activities with her.
Then from 10:50-1 I do lesson prep and repeat the process of Tuesday. Except I teach the IK's math....Then, starting this week, I will be tutoring a 12 year old girl at 5:50 for an hour. I guess she is very much a beginner English speaker so it will be very basic vocabulary and such.
Then on Fridays I start at 12, once again and go through the same process as every other day. At 2:40 I have my Returnee class for Grammar for two hours. I get my break and then I have my second returnee class for Reading street (same level as my Speedway class). Then I am done for the weekend by 6:50!!!

Ok so the names and class sizes:
  • IK kids: Gordon, Lu-Mi, Min-ki, Sally, Monica, Nathan, Brian and Emily
  • AK 1-5 kids: Rosie, Rin, Hannah, Jay, James, Sige and Andy
  • AK 1-10 kids: Angel, Yumin, Ray, Tony and Wina
  • Speedway 2.2 kids: Chaemin, Alice and June
  • Returnee 2.1 kids: Ellen, Sally, Maya, Richard, Gabriel, Hyeok-In, Gloria and Annie
  • Returnee 2.2 kids: Jenny and Christy
  • Tutoring--Thursday morning pupil: Stella (IK level)
  • Tutoring--Thursday evening pupil: haven't met her yet!!

So, other than remembering which classroom to go to for all these classes, that's about it! :) I especially love my Speedway girls and my Returnee 2.2 girls...they're a bunch of sweethearts and we just kind of chat for part of the class (as long as they are practicing their English, it's all good!!) ....but don't get me wrong, I like all my other classes too...they are just a little harder to handle sometimes, that's all! :)

Ok, folks...this has been such a long one that I took a break in between to clean my apartment (much needed!) and rearrange my furniture to give it a homier feel....and create a list of things I need to make it feel even MORE like home....however I will probably wait till I have money at the end of the month and till Katie is here to go shopping with me (which is in THREE days!!!)

Love ya'll!

~Jenz~

2 comments:

  1. Wow, apparently my schedule is more normal than yours, but yours seems so exciting! I've got only 2 nights left here in Canada and then I'm flying out EARLY Wednesday to see you by 9:00pm your time Thursday :) See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    So happy to hear that you arrived safely! Papa & I look forward to your next blog entry when you will fill us in on your trip to the " hospital " and your apartment " lock out "

    Love ya,
    Nannie & Papa

    ReplyDelete